About the advisors
- independent scientific advice to the European Commission to inform policy making
- recommendations to improve the interaction between policy-making and scientific advice
There are 7 Chief Scientific Advisors appointed in their personal capacity and who act independently and in the public interest.
How the Scientific Advice Mechanism works
The advisors work closely with the Scientific Advice for Policy by European Academies (SAPEA) consortium, which gathers expertise in engineering, humanities, medicine, natural and social sciences from over 100 academies and societies across Europe.
Together with a secretariat in the Commission’s research and innovation department, the advisors and SAPEA are collectively known as the Scientific Advice Mechanism (SAM).
Subscribe to the newsletter of the Group of Chief Scientific Advisors.
- Directorate-General for Research and Innovation
This report provides an overview of the work of the Group of Chief Scientific Advisors from their first plenary meeting in January 2016 to their 20th plenary meeting in December 2019
- Towards sustainable food consumption
- Strategic crisis management in the EU
- Cancer screening
- A systemic approach to the energy transition in Europe
- Biodegradability of plastics in the open environment
- COVID-19, future pandemics and other crises in the global context
- Adaptation to health effects of climate change in Europe
- Towards a sustainable food system
- Transforming the future of ageing
- Scientific advice to European Policy in a complex world
- Environmental and health risks of microplastic pollution
- Authorisation processes of plant protection products
- Novel carbon capture and utilisation technologies
- Food from the oceans
- New techniques in agricultural biotechnology
- Light duty vehicle real-drive CO2 emissions
The group meets in plenary several times a year.
- News article
Research and innovation news alert: An evidence review report and policy recommendations by the EU Scientific Advice Mechanism (SAM) on Sustainable Food Consumption have just been launched.