A new Commission Working document showcases the role of EU research and innovation investment in clean hydrogen to accelerate the green energy transition and reach European Green Deal goals by 2050.
The document describes the research and investment related instruments, and the challenges and opportunities to fully deploy the hydrogen technologies on the market in the near future, and accelerate setting up the European hydrogen economy.
It also shows hydrogen related achievements, such as
- the establishment of the Fuel Cells and Hydrogen Joint Undertakings,
- the EU’s leading role in electrolysers for clean hydrogen production,
- the critical role of research and innovation in demonstrating and preparing for market deployment; in providing necessary data and tools to the industry; and in providing evidence for required adjustment of the regulatory environment,
- the establishment of 21 hydrogen valleys.
- Publication date
- 24 January 2022
- Directorate-General for Research and Innovation