What is the platform for?
The platform is an important forum for dialogue with European regions and cities on issues related to research and innovation.
It was set up in 2015 as a cooperation between the European Committee of the Regions and the European Commission Directorate-General for Research and Innovation.
The new KEP 2.0
The platform was relaunched as KEP 2.0 in November 2020, following the Commission's plan for a new ERA to include strategic and coordinated support to regions and cities building on successful initiatives such as the Knowledge Exchange Platform.
KEP 2.0 will continue supporting the EU's policy ambition of creating dialogue and synergies between Horizon Europe and other funds, but will also provide a Europe-wide forum for informing regions and cities of the new European Research Area.
By relaunching the platform the Commission seeking a strong commitment of regions and cities towards common research and innovation goals. The platform is fully aligned with the new European Research Area priorities.
Events that help to achieve KEP objectives
- thematic seminars bringing together experts, stakeholders and policy makers from the European Committee of the Regions to Brussels. Usually, two thematic seminars are held per year
- peer-to-peer events locally organised by a member of the European Committee of the Regions to exchange views with other members, research and innovation experts, EU-funded projects and local stakeholders
- showcasing events organised by third parties but contributing to the KEP annual Action Plan through participation of members of the European Committee of the Regions and the showcasing of EU-funded research and innovation projects
15 June 2023: First Knowledge Exchange Platform seminar in 2023 on ‘Open Science for higher quality, more efficient and more impactful research - Opportunities for Regions and Cities’ - agenda
How to get involved
Joint action plan
KEP 2.0 is part of a wider joint action plan setting the key collaborative actions between the 3 Directorates-General of the European Commission (Directorate General for Research and Innovation, Directorate General for Education and Culture and the Joint Research Centre) and the European Committee of the Regions.
The plan covers 4 priority areas of collaboration and comprises 26 concrete actions that affect citizens' daily lives. Actions aim to
- increase the administrative and implementation capacity of the regions not to leave anyone behind
- reduce the innovation divide
- build a well-interconnected innovation ecosystem in Europe
Annual monitoring report of the Joint Action Plan - 2022
Annual monitoring report of the Joint Action Plan - 2021
Synergies with Science meets Regions
KEP 2.0 plans to work closely with Science meets Regions, a flagship initiative endorsed by the European Parliament and implemented by the European Commission’s Joint Research Centre in close consultation with the European Committee of the Regions. It supports science-based policymaking at regional and local level, as well as cooperation and exchange of best practices among regions.
More about Science meets Regions
Until 2020, the main objective of the Knowledge Exchange Platform was to present new research and innovation solutions, innovative products and best practices in response to the many challenges local and regional authorities in Europe face.
Over a period of 5 years, more than 30 local and European events were organised and hundreds of regional decision makers, academic experts and stakeholders participated. The platform
- allowed efficient mobilisation, consultation and dialogue between European regions and cities on research and innovation issues
- supported effective transfer of expertise from Commission services to the European Committee of the Regions and its members. The platform thus reinforces cooperation between the two institutions, valorises new knowledge created through the Commission research and innovation programmes and helps maximise synergies between the framework programme and other funds such as cohesion funds
For more information please contact RTD-KEP@ec.europa.eu
11 October 2022: the next edition of the European Week of Regions and Cities 2022
Register now for the workshop "Youth involvement in European R&I policies, and the role of regions and cities"
- News article
Commissioner Mariya Gabriel successfully presented the first annual monitoring report of the Joint Action Plan in the European Committee of the Regions
Commissioner Mariya Gabriel and the European Committee of the Regions discussed the important progress made on the actions within the Joint Action Plan
- Training and workshops
Youth involvement in R&I policies, and the role of regions and cities
- 11 October 2022
- Online only
- Live streaming available
- Training and workshops
Building Synergies for Successful Green and Digital Transitions – The Way Ahead
- 22 June 2022
- Online only