ESIR in 2020-2021
ESIR is a high-level group of experts established in 2017. The new composition and mandate started in 2020 and ended in 2021.
During that period ESIR has provided evidence-based policy advice to the Commission on how to develop a forward-looking and transformative research and innovation policy. This helped driving Europe's transition to full sustainability.
The group addressed society's needs and most pressing challenges through
- policy briefs to provide European and national policy-makers with strategic advice on research and innovation and sustainability
- outreach activities to fully engage with relevant stakeholders
- policy experimentation to find new and more impactful innovative public policies
- proposals for solution-oriented policy initiatives that address current grand challenges
- ESIR expert group 2020-2021 for transformative R&I policy - YouTube
- ESIR 2020-2021: Main achievements
ESIR members and community
ESIR 2020-2021 was composed of 14 internationally recognised experts who covered sustainability issues from a variety of angles and involved their respective networks.
The group heavily emphasised stakeholder engagement and co-designing outputs and activities. This means the group could reach out to relevant actors beyond the traditional research and innovation community.
The group was chaired by Sandrine Dixson-Declève, Co-President of the Club of Rome.
Governing systemic transformations towards a sustainable industry, an ESIR policy brief
This ESIR focus paper advises on how we can protect, prepare, and transform EU industry and harness innovation to make global value chains more resilient.
This ESIR focus paper looks at the role of European Universities in achieving systemic change in the post-pandemic economy and society.
This ESIR focus paper provides a ‘deeper dive’ into the role of nations, regions and cities as vectors for systemic change in the post pandemic economy.
ESIR provides advice on how a ‘protect-prepare-transform’ design approach can ensure fast learnings from innovation for a resilient post-pandemic Europe.
ESIR provides advice on a powerful transformative European research and innovation policy in support of the Covid-19 crisis recovery.