The EU maintains a long-standing relationship with the Pacific. It aims to enhance its profile, to reinforce cooperation in science technology and innovation with the region and promote the development of mutually beneficial partnerships.
The main policy goals are
- strengthening relationships with Australia and New Zealand, as well as reinforcing a regional approach and dimension for research and innovation with the Pacific Islands in areas that include earth observation, climate action, biodiversity, and more
- supporting the institutional policy dialogue under the bilateral science and technology agreements, signed with Australia and New Zealand
- promoting bilateral cooperation between research and innovation actors and monitoring progress in the bilateral science and technology cooperation
- promoting synergies between EU policies and programmes addressing targeted countries in the Pacific and facilitating the coordination of research projects and initiatives supported by Horizon Europe
Horizon Europe, the research and innovation funding programme 2021-2027 is one of the main tools to implement Europe’s strategy for international cooperation: the global approach to research and innovation.
The programme is open to researchers and innovators from around the globe who are encouraged to team up with EU partners in preparing proposals.
Horizon Europe will encourage international participation in different ways such as
- topics encouraging or requiring international cooperation
- joint or coordinated calls
- exceptional EU funding for participants from non-associated non-EU countries
- twinning activities with entities from non-associated non-EU countries
- topics contributing to the implementation of multilateral or bilateral agreements or initiatives
The programme also includes targeted actions with key partners from non-EU countries.
Projects and results
Research project database
EU-funded research projects involving the Pacific
For previous framework programmes, please contact the Research enquiry service.
Example of research cooperation projects
- Pace-net plus (2013-2016) a Coordination and Support Action supporting the EU-Pacific policy dialogue, reinforce cooperation in health, demographic change and wellbeing, food security, sustainable agriculture, marine and maritime research and the bioeconomy, climate action, resource use and efficiency, and raw materials.
- MESOPP (2016-2019) enhanced cooperation between Europe and Australia by developing research e-infrastructures linked to ocean ecosystem research.
National Contact Points
The National Contact Points (NCPs) provide guidance, practical information and assistance on all aspects of participation in Horizon Europe.
Carmela Cutugno | DG Research and Innovation | International Cooperation