Mariya Gabriel, Commissioner for Innovation, Research, Culture, Education and Youth, said:
“Europe is leading the global response to tackle the coronavirus pandemic and its social and economic impact. Research and innovation is at the core of our coordinated response, and Horizon 2020 has proven its value as a flexible instrument to address this crisis. The €1 billion in funding is already boosting efforts to find solutions to test, treat and prevent coronavirus for all.”
The Work Programme update makes it possible to use €641 million, which is already part of the €1 billion pledge, through internal budget redeployment within Horizon 2020. It uses budget not yet allocated in the Horizon 2020 work programmes as well as reflows from financial instruments.
Key actions enabled today include:
- €400 million under Access to Risk Finance for InnovFin Infectious Diseases Financial Facility, implemented by the European Investment Bank (EIB). This will enable the EIB to fund pre-commercial stage investments in the area of infectious diseases.
- €172 million to fund additional research and innovation actions on the coronavirus pandemic and to extend promising projects already underway.
- €50 million in additional support of the Coalition for Epidemic Preparedness and Innovation, notably to develop vaccines.
- €15.5 million to set up a Population Health Information Research Infrastructure to collect and make available data that can support research and policy decisions.
- €3.5 million for the deployment of innovative robotics solutions in healthcare.
In addition, to complement the funding of disruptive innovations on coronavirus already mobilised under the European Innovation Council (EIC)’s Accelerator, proposals receiving the EIC’s Seal of Excellence and the most promising ideas identified during the #EUvsVirus pan-EU Hackathon will be able to benefit from support and coaching via the EIC Business Acceleration Services and the EIC Covid-19 Challenge Platform.
Coronavirus research and innovation
- Publikācijas datums
- 17 jūnijs 2020
- Pētniecības un inovācijas ģenerāldirektorāts