Three islands receive prize
The Danish island of Ærø is the winner of the 2020 edition of the EU RESponsible Island Prize. Ærø won the title in recognition for its innovative energy solutions and its contribution to a sustainable and climate-friendly Europe.
News alert: Three islands receive EU RESponsible Island Prize for local renewable energy transition
What is the 'RESponsible Island' prize?
This prize will reward achievements in local renewable energy production for electricity, heating, cooling and transport on islands.
The prize name refers to the combination of renewables (RES) and responsibility.
Why is there a prize?
Islands often have high local energy costs, but can benefit from the transition to renewable energy sources in many ways.
These include, among others, creating local jobs and opportunities for sustainable tourism.
There are more than 2000 inhabited islands in the EU. They are ideal test labs to develop innovative energy technologies and can serve as energy transition models for small communities in general.
The prize will be awarded based on
- the share of renewable energy produced by innovative energy technologies
- environmental and socioeconomic sustainability and impact
- citizen and community involvement
- replicability of the solution
The prize should inspire other islands and off-grid communities to show how small local communities can make the transition to sustainable energy systems.
- 1st place: €500,000
- 2nd place: €250,000
- 3rd place: €100,000
Who can apply
The contest is open to islands located within the territory of an EU country including overseas countries and territories or countries associated to Horizon 2020.
It is open to any legal entity or group of legal entities representing the respective island.
How to apply
Participants can apply for the 2020 edition of the contest online. You can find full details in the following documents. Deadline for applications 29 September 2020.
For more information email EC-RESponsibleemail@example.com
- Stáhnoutespañol(704.9 KB - PDF)
- Stáhnoutdansk(705.73 KB - PDF)
- StáhnoutDeutsch(709.06 KB - PDF)
- Stáhnouteesti(704.17 KB - PDF)
- Stáhnoutελληνικά(711.31 KB - PDF)
- Stáhnoutfrançais(706.69 KB - PDF)
- Stáhnouthrvatski(706.44 KB - PDF)
- Stáhnoutitaliano(705.24 KB - PDF)
- StáhnoutMalti(708.55 KB - PDF)
- StáhnoutNederlands(706 KB - PDF)
- Stáhnoutpolski(709.17 KB - PDF)
- Stáhnoutportuguês(707.56 KB - PDF)
- Stáhnoutsuomi(705.2 KB - PDF)
- Stáhnoutsvenska(707.61 KB - PDF)